The Dynamic Ventilator Reserve is a public-private partnership between the American Hospital Association, the federal government and leading group purchasing organizations. This program brings together health systems from across the country to contribute a portion of their ventilator fleets to share with hospitals experiencing shortages.
“We appreciate the work of the administration in helping us find innovative solutions to ensure the best care for our patients, we'll continue to work with hospitals and health systems across the country to add to this reserve further."
- AHA President and CEO Rick Pollack
The projected shortage of ventilators in specific geographic areas as the United States battles the pandemic is affecting regions of the country unevenly as rates for infection, hospitalization and intensive care unit utilization vary. Ventilator equipment may sit idle in some areas with lower infection rates while other areas are stretched beyond capacity.
Potential donor and recipient facilities will be able to create an account in an online database. Providers are then able to access this virtual inventory as their need for ventilators increases. The AHA will manage the inventory with full transparency to those participating in the effort.
AHA Special Bulletin
- Public-private Effort Launched to Help Distribute Existing Ventilators to High-need Areas of the U.S.
- News: FEMA implements ventilator request process
- Axios: Hospitals to share ventilators while production scales up
- Kaiser Health News: Federal Ventilator Program Would Allow Hospitals To Send Unused Machines To Help Hot Spots
- HealthLeaders Media: HCA Providing Up to 1,000 Ventilators to Combat Coronavirus Outbreak
- New Orleans Times-Picayune: Hospitals can now share ventilators through program developed by Ochsner CEO, Trump administration
- Fox 8 Cleveland: Cleveland Clinic helps in creation of national ventilator database
- Florida Politics: Kudos to a good idea: Florida hospitals to participate in ‘dynamic ventilator reserve’ program
- Organizational Preparedness and Capacity Planning Resources
- All AHA COVID-19 Resources
- Ventilator Stockpiling and Availability in the US (Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security)
Tools and Fact Sheets
App to Help Frontline Medical Workers During COVID-19 Pandemic